WINTER STORM MONITORING - FEBRUARY 2, 2022
With the storm that is in Colorado moving across the Midwest and the forecast of a deep freeze in Texas on Thursday, we are closely monitoring the weather, and engaging with our power supplier, Xcel. As of 10:00 am this morning (2/2/22), Xcel reported that they are currently not seeing the gas price spikes, like they did with the 2021 Texas storm. However, they will continue to actively watch the storm system, as well as the gas prices and will keep us informed of any anticipated spikes. While forecasters are not calling for the storm in Texas to be as severe as last year, we will continue to monitor the storm as it progresses. YVEA will also continue to actively engage with Xcel throughout this storm and provide any updates as we can.
What can you do as a YVEA member?
Throughout the year, we offer tips and tricks for saving money on your electric bill, through our Energy Hero program. This program offers easy ways for you to reduce your electric consumption during the day, to help prevent pricing spikes on your bill, especially during the colder months. We also have great rebates for many everyday items and upgrades that will help save you money in the long run. Here is a brief list of ways you can cut your electrical bill during these colder days:
- Lower your thermostat to 68 degrees during the day, and 58 degrees when you are away from home
- Install a smart or programmable thermostat in your house (and get a rebate for it!)
- Lower your water heater temperature to 120 degrees or set your temperature dial to normal or medium
- Unplug electric devices and turn off lights that are not in use
- Put your heat tape on a timer (we have a rebate for that!)
- Switch lightbulbs to more energy efficient LED bulbs (check out our rebate on these!)
- Have questions about space heaters? Check out our space heater video for more information on how best to use your space heater efficiently and economically: https://youtu.be/GhJ2rlg_NrY
For more tips and tricks on how you can be an Energy Hero and fight energy waste, visit https://www.yvea.com/diy-library
And for more information on our rebate program, visit https://www.yvea.com/rebates